Kuan-Ting Chen (KT)
I am currently a visiting researcher working with Prof. Jiebo Luo at the University of Rochester in New York. My research focuses on social media data mining and further interests include large-scale visual search, machine learning, and deep learning. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science at National Taiwan University under the supervision of Prof. Winston H. Hsu.
MiRA (Multimedia indexing, Retrieval, and Analysis) Research Group
Communications and Multimedia Laboratory
Graduate Institute of Networking and Multimedia
National Taiwan University
No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Rd.
Taipei 106, Taiwan
Clothing Attributes Mining and Analysis for Fashion Trend Prediction
(1) Proposed a framework that facilitates the investigation of consumers' clothing preference in a fine-grained manner.
(2) Discovered fashion trends in New York City by constructing a dataset from the New York Fashion Shows and New York street chic in order to understand likely clothing fashion trends.
New York Post
El Pais (Spanish)
MIT Technology Review
- "When Fashion Meets Big Data: Discriminative Mining of Best Selling Clothing Features," Kuan-Ting Chen, Jiebo Luo, World Wide Web (WWW) Conference, Perth, Australia, April 2017.
- "Who are the Devils Wearing Prada in New York City?," Kuan-Ting Chen, Kezhen Chen, Peizhong Cong, Winston Hsu, Jiebo Luo, ACM Multimedia (MM), Brisbane, Australia,
Large-Scale Image Object Retrieval
Devised novel efficient and effective approaches for object visual search over large-scale datasets by investigating object/feature representation, indexing structure, geometry transformation, etc.
Media News: (Mandarin)
United Daily News
- "Detecting Viewing Directions to Landmarks for Recommendation by Large-scale Usercontributed Photos," Yen-Ta Huang, Kuan-Ting Chen, Liang-Chi Hsieh, and Winston H. Hsu, ACM Multimedia (MM), Nara, Japan, October 2012.
- "Boosting Image Object Retrieval and Indexing by Automatically Discovered Pseudo-Objects," Kuan-Ting Chen, Kuan-Hung Lin, Yin-Hsi Kuo, Yi-Lun Wu, Winston Hsu, Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, special issue on Large-Scale Image and Video Search: Challenges, Technologies, and Trends, 2010.
- "A Technical Demonstration of Large-Scale Image Object Retrieval by Efficient Query Evaluation and Effective Auxiliary Visual Feature Discovery," Yin-Hsi Kuo, Yi-Lun Wu, Kuan-Ting Chen, Yi-Hsuan Yang, Tzu-Hsuan Chiu, and Winston H. Hsu, ACM Multimedia (MM), Firenze, Italy, October 2010.
- "Query Expansion for Hash-based Image Object Retrieval," Yin-Hsi Kuo, Kuan-Ting Chen, Chien-Hsing Chiang, and Winston Hsu, ACM Multimedia (MM), Beijing, China, October 2009.
- "Canonical Image Selection and Efficient Image Graph Construction for Large-Scale Flickr Photos," Liang-Chi Hsieh, Kuan-Ting Chen, Chien-Hsing Chiang, Yi-Hsuan Yang, Guan-Long Wu, Chun-Sung Ferng, Hsiu-Wen Hsueh, Angela Charng-Rurng Tsai, Winston H. Hsu, Grand Challengefor ACM Multimedia (MM), Beijing, China, October 2009.
- "Boosting Object Retrieval By Estimating Pseudo-Objects," Kuan-Hung Lin, Kuan-Ting Chen, Winston Hsu, Chun-Jen Lee, and Tien-Hsu Li, International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Cairo, Egypt, November 2009.
- 1st Gold Award 8th YSED Contest, Mobile Software Competition, Taiwan May 2011
- Mobile image query project, TV news and newspapers September 2009
Visual-based Contextual Video Advertising
Associated relevant ads to shared photos/videos by content-based and semantic-based visual matching with an ad scheduling algorithm to optimize system revenue and user perception.
- "AdVis: Contextual Video Advertising by Visual Matching and Ad Scheduling Optimization," Kuan-Ting Chen, Wei-Shing Liao, Winston H. Hsu, Technique Report, 2013.
- "AdImage: Video Advertising by Image Matching and Ad Scheduling Optimization," Wei-Shing Liao, Kuan-Ting Chen, Winston H. Hsu, ACM SIGIR International Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Singapore, July 2008
- U.S Patent Application: #8,191,089 Issue Date of Patent: 05-29-2012 "System and Method for Inserting Advertisement in Contents of Video Program," Wei-Shing Liao, Kuan-Ting Chen, Winston H. Hsu
- Taiwan Patent Application: #97134632
- 3rd Place Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink Corp. and CMLab, April 2009
- 3rd Place Award, The Cooperative Workshop of CyberLink Corp. and CMLab, April 2008
- Top-5 Award ImagineCup Software Design Competition, hosted by Microsoft, Taiwan May 2008
Construction of Vision-Based Intelligent Environment
Devised an intelligent system for person following using a vehicle equipped with a video camera. Potential applications include: use as an autonomous shopping cart, or as a personal museum/exhibition/tour guide.
- "A Study on Autonomous Vehicle Guidance for Person Following by 2D Human Image Analysis Advertising 3D Computer Vision Techniques, Kuan-Ting Chen and Wen-Hsiang Tsai, Proceedings of The 20th IPPR Conference on Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, 2007.
- "A Study on Autonomous Vehicle Guidance for Person Following by 2D Human Image Analysis and 3D Computer Vision Techniques," Kuan-Ting Chen, M.S., Thesis, Institute of MultimediaEngineering, National Chiao University, Taiwan, 2007.
- Technical Transfer to MIS Co., Ltd., for robot development
An Object based Authoring Tool for Creating SCORM Compliant Course
Modeled complicated sequencing rules into several basic components on the SCORM view, representing a basic sequencing graph on users' view to easily construct a complex structure of courses.
- "An Object based Authoring Tool for Creating SCORM Compliant Course," Jun-Ming Su, Shian-Shyong Tseng, Jui-Feng Weng, Kuan-Ting Chen, Yi-Lin Liu, and Yi-Ta Tsai, IEEE 19th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2005), March, 2005.
Professional Activities and Experience
Technical Program Committee: ACM Multimedia 2016, 2017, ICMR 2015
Academic Research Reviewer: ACM Multimedia, CVPR, ICCV, AAAI, WWW, MMM, ICME, CIVR, MMSP, International Symposium on Multimedia, Transactions on Multimedia, Transactions on Information Video Technology, Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems, Journal of Multimedia Systems (2007 - 2016)
Teaching Assistant: Multimedia Analysis and Indexing (Fall 2008, Fall 2009)
Leadership: Led industry and academia projects (2007-2011); coordinated research lab activities (2007-2013); co-organized SMART Media workshop (2012) for CMLab research lab, Taiwan.